By Mircea Eliade
In quantity 2 of this huge paintings, Mircea Eliade keeps his magisterial growth during the historical past of spiritual rules. The religions of old China, Brahmanism and Hinduism, Buddha and his contemporaries, Roman faith, Celtic and German religions, Judaism, the Hellenistic interval, the Iranian syntheses, and the start of Christianity—all are encompassed during this quantity.
Read or Download A History of Religious Ideas: From Gautama Buddha to the Triumph of Christianity PDF
Similar comparative religion books
Concentrating on the phenomenon of prophecy within the historic close to East, this examine bargains a comparability among elements of First Isaiah and the Assyrian prophecies. within the first half, the cloth from First Isaiah and from seventh-century Assyria is investigated in its personal correct. the second one half is a comparability of the Isaiah culture in its earliest form with the prophetic fabric from seventh-century Assyria.
This booklet takes factor with those that could search to put regulations at the participation of non secular companies in politics, arguing that their place underestimates the advantages, and overestimates the prices, of getting religiously stimulated electorate perform this fashion. it is going to entice readers in philosophy and politics.
2012 AJN (American magazine of Nursing) ebook of the yr Award within the Hospice and Palliative Care categoryExplores how spiritual understandings of dying are skilled in hospice care. within the Nineteen Sixties, English health practitioner and devoted Christian Cicely Saunders brought a brand new manner of treating the terminally unwell that she referred to as “hospice care.
Jews, Christians, and Muslims all have a typical trust within the sanctity of a center holy scripture, and observation on scripture (exegesis) used to be on the middle of all 3 traditions within the heart a long time. even as, since it handled concerns reminiscent of the character of the canon, the boundaries of applicable interpretation, and the that means of salvation background from the viewpoint of religion, exegesis used to be elaborated within the heart a long time alongside the faultlines of interconfessional disputation and polemical clash.
- The Christ Myth (Westminster College-Oxford Classics in the Study of Religion)
- The fabrication of the Christ myth
- The Cosmic Common Good: Religious Grounds for Ecological Ethics
- Buddhist Christianity: A Passionate Openness
- Tales of Wonder: Adventures Chasing the Divine, an Autobiography
- In Praise of Krishna: Songs from the Bengali
Additional resources for A History of Religious Ideas: From Gautama Buddha to the Triumph of Christianity
Lao Tzu criticizes and rejects the Confucian system, that is, the importance of the rites, respect for social values, and rationalism. "Let us renounce Benevolence, let us discard Justice; the people will recover the true virtues of the family" (19. O. For the Confucianists, benevolence and justice are the greatest virtues. Lao Tzu, however, regards them as attitudes that are artificial and hence useless and dangerous. "When one abandons the Tao, one has recourse to Benevolence; when one abandons Benevolence, one has recourse to Justice; when one abandons Justice, one has recourse to the Rites.
95 Chinese alchemy, as an autonomous discipline, is a compound of (1) the traditional cosmological beliefs; (2) the myths concerning the elixir of immortality and the Holy Immortals; and (3) the techniques whose goal was not only the prolongation of life but bliss and spiritual spontaneity. These three elementsprinciples, myths, and techniques-were part of the cultural inheritance from protohistory, and it would be a mistake to believe that the date of the earliest documents that attest to them also tells us their age.
75. Chuang Tzu, chap. 2, after the translation by Kaltenmark, Lao tseu, pp. 117-18. 76. "By inner contemplation we find a way to satisfy ourselves in ourselves" (Lieh Tzu, after Kaltenmark's translation, p. 118). 77 133.. ' '79 Another group of scholars maintains the fundamental unity of all the historical forms of Taoism. 80 And in fact the "metaphysicians," the "mystics," and the adepts in quest of physical immortality all shared the same paradoxical conception of the Tao and sought to reach the same result: to unite in their person the two epiphanies of ultimate reality (yang and yin, matter and spirit, life and death).
A History of Religious Ideas: From Gautama Buddha to the Triumph of Christianity by Mircea Eliade
- New PDF release: She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide)
- El totalitarismo - download pdf or read online